By creating sub-watersheds the total land mass being considered becomes more manageable and provides strategic and planning benefits. The KWRC manages the Kennebecasis Watershed as five sub-watersheds:
- Trout Creek Watershed (21932Ha)
- Upper Kennebecasis Watershed (33916Ha)
- Smiths Creek Watershed (20821Ha)
- Millstream River Watershed (27427Ha)
- Lower Kennebecasis Watershed (30554Ha)
Each of these sub-watersheds has different land use composition and history which have influenced their current health. The map here illustrates the land use composition of the entire Kennebecasis Watershed.